Utility links 8611A - 108 Street, Grande Prairie, AB, T8V 4C5| Phone: (780) 532-8133| Register Online| Contact Us
Peace Wapiti Public School Division
Educating today for success tomorrow
Peace Wapiti Public School Division No. 76
Alternate Education Program

What is Alternate Education?
The Alternate Education Program at Peace Wapiti Public School Divison (PWPSD) offers opportunities to upgrade course results, study additional courses, or complete the requirements of an Alberta High School Diploma or equivalent. Our program is free of charge and open to those under the age of 20 as of September 1 of the current year.

We connect with students who have left school prior to graduation and those who have not found success in a traditional school environment. We also provide course options to students who are currently attending PWPSD high schools, and to home-schooled students in Grades 1-9. AEP team members work with students throughout the year to help them achieve their goals. In the 2015-2016 school year, 30 PWPSD students received high school diplomas through the program.

Meet PWPSD's Alternate Education Program team
PWPSD's Alternate Education Program Coordinators have decades of experience helping youth achieve their goals. Their experience, combined with the program's flexible distance learning courses, will help you achieve success in ways that suit your circumstances and learning style.

​Randy Horneland
A member of the Alternate Education team for eight years. He has also served as a teacher and Principal during his 31-year career with PWPSD.
Jim Venhola
Part of the Alternate Education team for six years. Prior to his current role, he served as a Principal for 20 years during his 32-year career with PWPSD.
Connie Mitchell
Joined the Alternate Education team in 2017 after 27 years with PWPSD at Beaverlodge Regional High School.

July and August: Use the form above to send an email to Maxine Bozarth, Program Assistant,
or call (780) 532-8133.

How many students enrol in PWPSD's Alternate Education Program?
More than 100 students enrol in the program each school year. Alternate Education Program Coordinators work to accommodate each students' unique needs.

Many students have already completed their high school diploma and are looking to improve marks or upgrade courses to satisfy post-secondary prerequisite requirements. These students tend to enrol in one or two courses.

Annually, the program sees approximately 25-30 students complete their high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma through PWPSD's Alternate Education Program.

How do I complete courses and earn high school credits?
You will complete online or print courses through the Alberta Distance Learning Centre (ADLC) or Peace Academy of Virtual Education (PAVE). Course credits and high school diplomas are awarded through PWPSD. 

How long does it take to complete a course?
We encourage you to work at your own pace. Finish as quickly as you want or take the whole year, if necessary. There is no attendance requirement; students work on their courses at home.

What are my options?
We offer a number of options to suit your needs.

  1. Prepare for the High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) or register in and prepare for the General Educational Development (GED) exam.
    The HSED is open to those 18 years or older as of September 1 of the current school year; who have been out of school for at least 10 months; and do not have the credits required for an Alberta High School Diploma. Contact us to review the Accumulated Credit Checklist to determine how many credits you have and how many are required to complete the HSED. Credit can be applied for life experiences, adult education, and employment.

    You do not have to complete high school courses to write the GED exam. We offer GED registration and study guides free of charge. If you are thinking of completing the GED as a way of entering a post-secondary institution, confirm first if the GED is accepted.

  2. Enrol in a course to earn credits toward high school graduation requirements.
    Some students find out after Diploma Exam results that they did not pass all of their courses. We can provide any necessary course(s) to help you fulfill your high school diploma requirements.

  3. Enrol in a credit recovery process for a failed course, or to improve your result.
    It may not be necessary to retake the entire course to improve your mark. Depending on circumstances, students may be able to complete the missed portions of a course.

  4. Take a course to meet post-secondary program prerequisites.
    We provide course options for students who have completed their high school diploma, but need a course for entrance to university, college or trades school. 

  5. Take a personal interest course.
    Study anything from Japanese 10 to Math 31 – ADLC courses cover many subject areas. View the list of ADLC courses at https://www.adlc.ca/courses.


Contact us today
Complete the form above to send an email to the PWPSD Alternate Education Program, or call (780) 532-8133.