The first Alberta School Week (Education Week) was held December 2-8, 1928. Its purpose then, as now, is to provide all Albertans with an opportunity to highlight the important role education plays in shaping the future of our province.
Learning is a Journey
Every three years, the Alberta Teachers’ Association (ATA), in collaboration with Alberta Education, chooses a theme to help schools and locals plan activities that send consistent messages supporting public education to the community.
The theme from 2017-2020 is “Learning is a Journey,” and intends to profile the role that education plays in all of our lives in shaping the province’s future. It’s a great time to celebrate teachers’ proud legacy in public education and work toward an inspired future that includes the following:
• Optimal learning conditions for every child
• Creative and innovative learning programs
• Students who enjoy learning and who achieve their learning goals
• Parents and communities that are involved and supportive of learning
• School leaders who are also teachers
• A well-thought out curriculum delivered by well-prepared professionals
• Opportunities for teachers to continue developing their skills as professionals
Learn more about Education Week on the ATA website: https://www.teachers.ab.ca/News%20Room/Campaigns/Pages/Education-Week.aspx