According to the Alberta Teachers' Association (ATA) website, the first Alberta School Week (Education Week) was held December 2-8, 1928. Its purpose then, as now, is to provide all Albertans with an opportunity to highlight the important role education plays in shaping the future of our province.
Learning is a Journey
Every three years, the ATA, in collaboration with Alberta Education, chooses a theme to help schools and locals plan activities that send consistent messages supporting public education to the community. The theme for 2017-2020 is "Learning is a Journey".
It's a great time to celebrate teachers' proud legacy in public education and work toward an inspired future that includes the following:
- Optimal learning conditions for every child
- Creative and innovative learning programs
- Students who enjoy learning and who achieve their learning goals
- Parents and communities that are involved and supportive of learning
- School leaders who are also teachers
- A well-thought out curriculum delivered by well-prepared professionals
- Opportunities for teachers to continue developing their skills as professionals
Learn more about Education Week on the ATA website.