|School||Date / Time||Details|
|Beaverlodge Elementary School||January 22-26|
Using a Dr. Seuss theme (pictured), students and staff will participate in book swaps, story reading in the gym, reading bingo cards, and the following literacy-themed days:
- Monday: Green Eggs and Ham Day – wear green.
- Tuesday: I Can Read with My Eyes Shut – wear a shirt you can read.
- Wednesday: Wacky Wednesday – wear mismatched clothing.
- Thursday: Fox in Socks Day – wear crazy socks.
- Friday: Cat in the Hat! – wear a wacky hat.
|Bonanza School||Friday, January 26, 12:30 - 2:10 p.m.||Students will travel to Savanna School for the afternoon of Thursday, January 25 to attend a literacy-themed presentation by Hula Hoop Circus. On Friday, parents, grandparents and community members are invited to Bonanza School for a 'Play = Learning Literacy Day Fun' afternoon of reading and interactive learning games.|
|Clairmont Community School||January 22-26|
Each day will begin with a poem, read over the intercom by the Principal/Asst. Principal.
- Monday: Camp Read opens in the library and runs all week (pictured).
- Tuesday: Intercom announcements to "drop everything and read for 10 minutes."
- Wednesday: Teachers will swap classes to read a book.
- Thursday: Dress up as your favourite book/character; reading buddies in gym.
- Friday: Read the Halls – silent hallway reading during last period, until 3:00 p.m.
|Harry Balfour School and Whispering Ridge Community School||January 22-26||Annual book swap. Books are due on January 22. Students will choose books during January 23-24. Grande Prairie Firefighters will read with Kindergarten-Grade 3 students on January 24-26. |
|Helen E. Taylor School ||January 22-26|
- Monday: Reading Café during first period.
- Tuesday: Regular assembly at 9:35 a.m., with a literacy-themed court activity.
- Thursday: Bring a blanket and pillow to relax and read while enjoying muffins and hot chocolate provided by the school.
- Friday: Family Literacy Night at the Museum. Join Helen E. Taylor and Wembley Elementary School Councils, in conjunction with the Phillip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum, for this free event at 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Bring the entire family for a night of board games, crafts and snacks.
- Giant Scrabble: Students will receive three letters to start, and then earn more.
- All cafeteria meals will be associated with books. Students can guess which book to be entered in three draws for Coles $10 gift cards.
- Guess which book teachers enjoyed as a child: Match teachers' pictures to books.
|LaGlace School||Friday, January 26||In celebration of Literacy Day, and in conjunction with the school's Twin/Triplet Day, students and staff will dress as famous twins/triplets from literature. Younger students will partner with older students to share their favourite children's book. |
|Penson School||Friday, January 26||Students and staff will dress up as their favourite book character. |
|Robert W. Zahara Public School||Friday, January 26||Family brown bag lunch, beginning at 12:15 p.m. Parents and students can eat and read together in the gym, classrooms or the school's flex space. |
|Savanna School||January 22-26|
Reading Week with various guest speakers and presentations:
- Monday: Junior/senior high reading with elementary students.
- Tuesday: Community members reading with students.
- Wednesday: Two RCMP Officers will read with students at 10:00 a.m.
- Thursday: Author and Hula Hoop Circus presentations.
- Friday: School-wide reading for 15 minutes, beginning at 12:15 p.m.
|Teepee Creek School||Friday, January 26|
Students will circulate through literacy stations during the afternoon of Friday, January 26:
- Campout Reading: Reading books with flashlights in a tent (pictured).
- Tasty Treats: Students will read a recipe to create tasty treats.
- Race to Read: Similar to the game Snakes and Ladders. Students will provide words beginning with the letter in each square – the longer the word, the more points.
- Yoga Alphabet: Students will create letter shapes with their bodies.
- Alphabet Scavenger Hunt: Hunt for an alphabetized list of items.
- Spelling Bee: Teams of students will spell words and write them down.
|Woking School||Friday, January 26||Students will dress as their favourite character and decorate a literacy banner for display in the school. During the afternoon, students will cycle through literacy stations run by the Grades 6-8 Leadership class, including cooking, reading, games and a scavenger hunt.|