Read PWSD's Good News report, published on the Tuesday prior to a Board Meeting. The next Board Meeting is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 28, 2015 at Central Office:
- Danika Hynes, Grade 6 teacher at Helen E. Taylor School, on her Excellence in Education "Service Above Self" Award from the Swan City Rotary.
- April Brown – Grade 1 teacher at Harry Balfour School: Ms. Brown has been nominated for an Early Childhood Education Council (ECE) award for outstanding teaching, service and leadership in early childhood education in the province of Alberta. The award winner will be announced at the ECE annual conference in Kananaskis on November 7, 2015.
- Rod Vanstone – Counselor and Grades 4-8 music, band and language arts teacher at Clairmont Community School: Mr. Vanstone has been nominated for the Prime Minister's Award for Teaching Excellence. The Prime Minister's Awards for Teaching Excellence honour outstanding and innovative elementary and secondary school teachers in all disciplines who instill in their students a love of learning and who utilize information and communications technologies to better equip their students with the knowledge and skills needed to excel in a 21st century society and economy. Winners will be announced in the fall.
- Two PWSD students achieved podium finishes at the Provincial Skills Canada Competition (PSCC) held at the Edmonton Expo Centre on May 13-14:
- GOLD: Darci Peterson, Beaverlodge Regional High School – Junior Hairstyling.
- BRONZE: Jamie Cote, Peace Wapiti Academy – Outdoor Power & Recreation Equipment.
News from PWSD schools:
- Student-athletes who finished in first and second place at the Dave Bleile Track Meet will compete at the 2015 Northwest Zone Track and Field Meet in Grande Prairie on May 29-30 at the Legion Fields. For a schedule of events and the results, visit http://wolvesac.com/nw-zone-track-and-field-page.
- National Aboriginal Day celebrations around the Division:
- On May 21, Penson School hosted a celebration which began with entertainment, followed by a stew and bannock lunch at noon.
- On Thursday, June 4, the Blue Bird Dancers will perform for Grades 1 to 5 students at Harry Balfour School in the small gym at noon-1:30 p.m.
- On June 13-14, Ridgevalley School's Grade 7 students will attend the Peace River Pow Wow to participate in activities and speak with elders from the community. The class has been studying First Nations cultures, focusing on Cree culture and society.
- Teepee Creek School will host a celebration on Wednesday, June 17, open to students in Grades 1-6, featuring hands-on arts and crafts with supporting Aboriginal teachings, followed by a stew and bannock lunch.
- Hythe Regional School will celebrate the event on Friday, June 19.
- The annual 3-D Charity Hockey Tournament raised $65,000 this year for sick kids in the three local school districts. PWSD teams included representation from Hythe Regional School, Elmworth School, Beaverlodge Regional High School, Sexsmith Secondary School, Harry Balfour School, Penson School, and Elmworth School.
- Grade 9 students from LaGlace, Wembley, Beaverlodge and Elmworth participated in the Beaverlodge and Area Trauma Drama on May 26 at the Wembley Recreation Centre. The mock drunk driving crash scene was presented by Oliver's Funeral Home and Chapel, Wembley Fire Department, Alberta Health Emergency Medical Services, RCMP, Alberta Health Services and FCSS. The event was repeated in Hythe on May 27.
- Upcoming Graduation Ceremonies:
- Ridgevalley School, Saturday, May 30 - 12 graduates
- Eaglesham School, Saturday, May 30 - 10 graduates
- Details at http://bit.ly/pwsd-grads2015.
Harry Balfour School
- The Alberta Opera and Harry Balfour School will present two performances of Rumpelstiltskin on Friday, May 29 at 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. in the school's large gymnasium. The morning performance will be attended by Grades 5-8, with Grades 1-4 attending the afternoon performance. The hour-long shows include four Alberta Opera cast members and integrate a team of 16 students who are split equally to perform as actors and stage crew. Both events will be followed by question and answer sessions.
Helen E. Taylor School
- On Thursday, May 21, the school hosted a Search and Rescue training exercise with the Wembley Fire Department. The objective of the exercise was to familiarize the Fire Department with the layout of the school should an actual event ever occur, enabling fire fighters to know where to locate students to evacuate them safely.
- A 30-Hour Famine Event was held on Thursday, May 21 with a wrap-up celebratory meal at noon on Friday, May 22. The school raised nearly $3,000.
- Grade six students will enjoy a two day camp-out on May 28- 29 at Pine Ridge Adventure Camp. A number of outdoor activities, sports, crafts and team building challenges are planned.
- Grade 9 Farewell at the Wembley Rec Centre on June 4. Group photo at 6:30 p.m. followed by a potluck supper.
- The HET Awards Assembly will take place at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, June 12.
Hythe Regional School
- The Grade 9 Europe trip included the amazing country of Greece with a brief morning stopover in Kudasai, Turkey to see the ruins of Ephesus. Students cruised the beautiful Saronic Islands of Hydra, Poros, and Aegina and learned traditional Greek dance. Students were immersed in the mythology and history of the country with visits to well-known sites such as the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the theatre at Epidaurus, the World Heritage site of Delphi (home to the Temple of Apollo), and the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion.
- Logan Moon, Grade 9, has been drafted by the Edmonton Oil Kings.
- The LaGlace School Track team captured the Small School Intermediate trophy at the Dave Bleile Track and Field Meet. Julie Siemens was named top female athlete.
Peace Wapiti Academy
- On May 20, the Titans Girls Rugby team was named City Champions, facing off against the St. Joe's Celtics on Macklin Field, with a win of 22-5.
- PWA's Celebration of the Arts will be held at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 3. See amazing student artwork, watch a play presented by drama students, listen to performances by the PWA Band, and enjoy snacks prepared by Foods students.
- Four students are competing in high school rodeo: Telsa Shaver, Dustin Shaver, Arina Alstott-Siemens and Blu Siemens. At the Thorsby Rodeo held during the May long weekend, Arina won the buckle for High Point Female Competitor.
- Foods class to participate in clothing drive and provide hot lunch at the Grande Prairie Soup Kitchen on June 18. This is the second time that the Foods class has reached out Grande Prairie's less fortunate in this manner. The class hosted their first clothing drive and free lunch in January.
R. W. Zahara Public School
- With the addition of walls and floors, the replacement R. W. Zahara Public School is starting to take shape.
- More than 240 students celebrated reading when they attended the Spring Fit-to-Read party at the Eastlink Centre on May 20.
- The WE Club has raised enough money to buy 19 goats for the school's partner village in India.
- Students are starting a "Walk for Water" in June, to help to build a well in the school's partner village in India.
- A Junior High Farewell will be held on Monday, June 15 at 6:00 p.m. at Mikie's Restaurant.
- In May, the school raised $473.30 for the Nepal earthquake relief effort, which will be matched by the Federal Government.
Spirit River Regional Academy
- Mitch Dorge, drummer with the Crash Test Dummies, brought his In Your Face and Interactive presentation to students on Monday, May 25. The presentation emphasizes positive decision making. The event was sponsored by The Cooperators. For more information about his school-based presentations, visit www.mitchdorge.com/schools.
News and Press Releases:
- May. 21, 2015 PWSD staff to be recognized with Long Service Awards
- May. 21, 2015 Three local School Districts join forces with NAIT, Aquatera, Ensign Energy Services and Careers: The Next Generation to offer two new Dual Credit programs in 2015-16 –
- May. 20, 2015 Results of the PWSD Division-wide Dave Bleile Track Meet
- May. 20, 2015 Tri-District Dual Credit Partnership Announcement
- May. 15, 2015 PWSD students place at Provincial Skills Canada Competition 2015
- May. 15, 2015 PWSD student among top 10 in CBC nation-wide contest
- May. 14, 2015 PWSD to host Division-wide ‘Dave Bleile Track Meet’
- May. 13, 2015 New look for Teepee Creek School
- To date, PWSD and its schools have been featured in a total of 50 media stories during the month of May, 2015.