Replacement Harry Balfour School
Peace Wapiti Public School Division (PWPSD) has been awarded design funding for the replacement Harry Balfour School. The funding was included among 25 new school projects announced on November 1, 2019 by Minister of Education Adriana LaGrange. Replacing the existing Harry Balfour School has been the PWPSD Board’s top capital plan priority for several years. Read the full media release.
Bookmark this page
We invite families to visit this page often. Further announcements on construction funding and planning, and the projected start date will be shared as information becomes available.
Attendance area: The replacement school will continue serve students in Kindergarten - Grade 8 in the existing Harry Balfour School attendance area.
Location: Earlier this year, the County of Grande Prairie set aside land at the Five Mile Hall site, with installation of municipal services and road access pending a new school announcement.
Advantage of the new location: By eliminating the additional time required to transport rural students through the busy central core of the city, we will simultaneously reduce early morning pick-ups and late drop-off times.
School design: The new school is expected to reflect the footprint of Whispering Ridge Community School that opened in 2018 to accommodate approximately half of Harry Balfour’s rapidly growing enrolment.
Playground: In her announcement, Minister LaGrange also said parents no longer have to fundraise for playground equipment, as it is included in funding for new schools.
PWPSD Media Releases
Government of Alberta / County of Grande PrairieIn the News – Media Coverage
- Apr. 27, 2020 Construction funding approved for replacement Harry Balfour School, Reach FM
- Mar. 11, 2020 Full funding confirmed by province for replacement of Harry Balfour School, Everything GP
- Dec. 06, 2019 Peace Wapiti dealing with $2-million grant cut, promised school replacement, Daily Herald Tribune
Nov. 28, 2019 County Council to send a letter to School Division, granting access to new school site, Everything GP
- Nov. 21, 2019 PWPSD receiving funds for new Five Mile School, Town & Country News
- Nov. 12, 2019 MLA happy GP is "on the map again" for new schools, Everything GP
- Nov. 07, 2019 Design funding announced for replacement Harry Balfour School, Daily Herald Tribune
- Nov. 04, 2019 Design funding awarded for replacement of Harry Balfour School, Reach FM
- Nov. 04, 2019 PWPSD gets design funding for Five Mile Hall school, 2day FM
- Nov. 01, 2019 Provincial funding will go to planning new Harry Balfour School, Everything GP
- Nov. 01, 2019 Four Edmonton schools among 25 projects to be built or funded across AB, Global News Edmonton