The following Good News Report from Peace Wapiti Public School Division (PWPSD) and its schools will be shared at the upcoming Board meeting on Thursday, September 26, 2019.
Terry Fox School Runs at PWPSD schools
Seventeen PWPSD schools are hosting run events during September 16 - October 4. The media release outlines event details by school. Watch for a report in October on the total funds raised by PWPSD schools.
Orange Shirt Day events at PWPSD schools
The “Every Child Matters" school-wide empathy art project for Orange Shirt Day at Elmworth School. Students coloured feathers and added words describing how they believe a child should feel at school: empowered, happy, joy(ful), loved, heard, safe, glorious, respected, welcome, free, graceful, special, valued, good, relieved, included, accepted, strong, and calm.
PWPSD students will reflect on the legacy of residential schools during Orange Shirt Day events, the majority of which will align with the official observance on Monday, September 30. View the event plan.
Annual ASBA Zone 1 Awards –
PWPSD names firefighters
'Friends of Education', honours 2019 Edwin Parr Nominee
PWPSD presented six volunteer and municipal fire departments with a Friends of Education Award during a special luncheon on September 11, part of the annual Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA) Zone 1 meeting in Peace River. The award provides an opportunity for each Zone 1 school division to acknowledge local organizations for their contributions to education. Savanna School teacher Anastasia Potratz was among the Edwin Parr Teacher Award nominees also honoured by each Zone 1 school division for their outstanding first year of teaching. Read the full media release
Schools: Register for Student Vote 2019
CIVIX has once again joined forces with Elections Canada to deliver the Student Vote program free to schools throughout Canada. Build the habits of active and informed citizenship. Schools should register online at www.studentvote.ca/canada. Materials are supplied to registered schools and students take on the role of election workers and coordinate a vote within their school. Participating students cast ballots for the election candidates running in their school's electoral district. The results are shared publicly after the close of polls. During the 2019 Alberta provincial election, 21 PWPSD schools participated in Student Vote.
- Career Connections, September 26: Grades 9-12 students are invited to talk with recruiters from more than 20 of Alberta's colleges, trade schools and universities on Thursday, September 26, 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., Charles Spencer High School. This event is especially important for Grades 11-12 students who are developing post-secondary plans. Please note: Grade 12 students may begin applying to post-secondary institutions as early as October 1.
- School Bus Safety Week, October 20 - 26: In recognition of School Bus Safety Week, the Alberta Student Transportation Advisory Council (ASTAC) is sponsoring a provincial poster contest, open to Kindergarten - Grade 6 students, to promote school bus safety. Entries are due by Friday, November 8, 2019. Find more information and the entry form here.
- Eva Olsson in Grande Prairie and area, October 21 - 25: Watch for an upcoming announcement on her PWPSD school visit schedule.
Mentorship Hour pairs younger and older students with shared interests
Mentorship Hour is an opportunity for Elmworth students to be paired with a big/little buddy, or buddies, to explore shared interests. Each Wednesday, the pairings meet for an hour of collaborative work on a passion project of their choosing. Students will be paired with new buddies at the beginning of each term. Term 1 is off to a great start.
Helen E. Taylor School
Court activities kick off the new school year
During the first week of school, HET students participated in cooperative court activities. Courts are a special part of HET, with students and staff divided into one of four courts: Dragons, Warriors, Jousters and Wizards. The school says, "Court activities build school community, encourage student interaction with teachers and peers that otherwise may not happen, and mostly importantly, we have a lot of fun!"
New sensory hallway stimulates the five senses
The HET Grade 4 hallway has an exciting new addition – a sensory path that provides great opportunities for students to stimulate and improve their five senses, while also functioning as a "brain break." Grade 4 teacher Rayel Lockhart says, "The movements involved in our sensory path help students regulate their bodies so they can focus during class."
Hythe Regional School
Hythe Regional School selected for Indigo's Adopt a School program
Through the Adopt a School program, Indigo matches books purchased online from a list of 50 approved books with second copies which are gifted to "adopted" school libraries. Local stores also accept in-person donations to support book purchases for the schools.
Hythe Regional School (HRS) Assistant Principal Holly Gould says, "The Adopt a School program reflects the supportive relationship we enjoy with our local Indigo store – Coles Grande Prairie. In August, HRS staff dressed up as storybook characters Dog Man and Captain Underpants to participate in a fun activity for kids during a special Adopt a School event at the Prairie Mall. We are very appreciative of their support for our school library."
Representatives from the Grande Prairie Coles will make a presentation through Indigo's Adopt a School program during an assembly at HRS on Thursday, September 26.
The Welcome Back Barbecue event on September 19 at LaGlace School, hosted by Secure Energy Services.
Recent and upcoming events:
- September 23: Presentation by PWPSD Indigenous Guest Speaker Kelly Fraser.
- September 25: Terry Fox Run at 12:30 p.m.
- September 26: Run Club athletes and junior high students will participate in the Dreamer's Lake cross-country run.
- October Charity: Coats for Kids
Peace Wapiti Academy
PWA students receive First Responder Training
Eight students spent three days in September working on their First Responder Certification. These students are on call at sporting events and are the first called to respond to medical emergencies at the school.
- Meet the Teacher / Info for New Parents Night: Thursday, September 26. Topics include:
- Navigating Power School
- Marks and Attendance Program
- Everything you need to know about iPlan
- Grade 9 subjects
- PWA Academy Awards: Thursday, October 10, 7:00 p.m., PWA gymnasium.
- Grade 9 students will attend a farm safety event in Grande Prairie.
- The school will host a Farm Credit Canada (FCC) Drive Away Hunger campaign again this year. Stay tuned for dates.
- Dreamers Lake Cross Country Run, September 19 – a fun event for students.
- October 3, 2:00 p.m.: Plan to purchase a snack during Hot Dogs for Hope – all proceeds, in addition to the Terry Fox Run fundraising, will be donated to the Terry Fox Foundation.
Local businesses help fund classroom virtual reality systems
A vision to bring virtual reality to Savanna School is expanding in leaps and bounds, thanks to the generosity of local businesses. Teacher Starleigh Earl began the initiative by making applications for funding to purchase classroom virtual reality systems (pictured). On June 26, CNRL came forward with a $13,000 donation. Other donations include $5,000 from Pembina and $1,000 from Alta Gas.
Sexsmith Secondary School
Post-secondary fair at SSS
SSS will host an Alberta Post-Secondary Fair on Wednesday, September 25, 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. at the school. This will be an opportunity for SSS high school students to ask questions and get familiar with Alberta's post-secondary institutions. The event will also offer help to Grade 12 students who need assistance with applications, or have questions before applying to a school.
Spirit River Regional Academy
PWPSD Schools – Register for the Dreamer's Lake Slog
SRRA will host the annual Dreamer's Lake Slog on September 26. PWPSD schools are invited to participate. Email email@example.com to register.
Recent Media Releases
- Sept. 24, 2019 Orange Shirt Day at PWPSD schools – Every Child Matters
- Sept. 19, 2019 ASTAC hosts K-6 poster contest during School Bus Safety Week: October 20-26, 2019
- Sept. 18, 2019 Indigenous Speaker Series – PWPSD schools welcome Kelly Fraser
- Sept. 12, 2019 Local fire departments named Friends of Education, Edwin Parr Teacher Award nominee honoured at regional ASBA Awards luncheon
- Sept. 11, 2019 PWPSD schools to host Terry Fox Run events
- Sept. 09, 2019 PWPSD Board News – September 5, 2019
- Sept. 05, 2019 PWPSD Board takes office during organizational meeting
- Sept. 04, 2019 Organizational meeting of the Peace Wapiti Public School Division Board
Recent Media Coverage
- Sept. 23, 2019 Local schools well represented in latest high school football rankings, Everything GP
- Sept. 20, 2019 Comp edges Sexsmith, St. Joe's cruises in Thursday MPFL action, Everything GP
- Sept. 20, 2019 Juno nominee to perform at GPRC during welcome event, 2day FM
- Sept. 20, 2019 Indigenous artist Kelly Fraser entertaining students, Daily Herald Tribune
- Sept. 19, 2019 Running in Terry's footsteps, Town & Country News
- Sept. 19, 2019 Hythe Regional School loves to read, Town & Country News
- Sept. 18, 2019 Grande Prairie Warriors hosting a power Tier IV team in the Sexsmith Sabres, Daily Herald Tribune
- Sept. 17, 2019 PWPSD Board has a new chair, Central Peace Signal
- Sept. 17, 2019 Area fire departments named Friends of Education, Central Peace Signal
- Sept. 17, 2019 Honour for Savanna School teacher, Central Peace Signal
- Sept. 17, 2019 Schools line up Terry Fox Run events, Central Peace Signal
- Sept. 13, 2019 Q&A with Darren Robertson, Daily Herald Tribune
- Sept. 12, 2019 Peace Wapiti mostly unaffected by province's call to eliminate 'public' from school names, Town and Country News
- Sept. 09, 2019 County to hold design workshop for Five Mile Hall school site, 2day FM
- Sept. 09, 2019 County hosting workshop to create future Five Mile School Site Plan, County of Grande Prairie
- Sept. 09, 2019 PWA Titans open up MPFL season with loss to St. Joe's Celtics, Daily Herald Tribune
- Sept. 05, 2019 Mighty Peace Football League season kicks off Thursday, Everything GP
- Sept. 05, 2019 Back at 'er, Town & Country News
- Sept. 05, 2019 Volleying for the season, Town & Country News
- Sept. 05, 2019 Meet Peace Wapiti's new principals, Town & Country News
- Sept. 03, 2019 St. Joe's, Sexsmith ranked in top five by Football Alberta, Everything GP
- Sept. 02, 2019 Students return to school, Central Peace Signal
- Sept. 02, 2019 Eaglesham school has a new acting principal, Central Peace Signal
- Sept. 02, 2019 Word on the Street: Word from the school principals, Central Peace Signal
To keep up-to-date with the latest news from PWPSD, and local media coverage, check out PWPSD's online Media Room at http://www.pwpsd.ca/mediaroom. Sign up to receive Board News, Division Update and other PWPSD publications at www.pwpsd.ca. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.